3.08.2012

the smile jar

I've always considered myself a pretty crafty girl. Just ask my mom. When I was little, I was constantly cutting little things out of paper and getting glue everywhere. I loved, and still do love, making things. I even used to (this is going to sound really quite gross) like the feel of peeling the layers of glue that I would get stuck to my fingertips. I got some weird satisfaction out of it. Like I was accomplishing something. Don't ask me.

Anywho. Last week I read this little article on a jar you could make. I don't remember what they called it, but I shall call mine the smile jar.

The article suggested that you write down every time something makes you really happy and deposit each slip into a big jar, which you then read on New Year's Eve. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't do the whole New Year's Eve thing. So I decided to make my own smile jar. I mean, I don't know about you, but I get down on myself a lot about things. Things I should have done, things I did that I wish I hadn't, and then, of course, the stressing over things in the future. And I thought, I could use a smile jar. I'm going to write down all the little things that make me happy when they happen, and then when I start feeling blue, I'll shake out a few of the colorful papers and read them, until I'm feeling all chipper again (for those of you who know the outer Audrey, you know she's a pretty chipper girl).

That's how I concocted the Smile Jar. I found a big Mason jar from my mother's pantry, one big enough to hold a year's worth of memories, cleaned it up, and thought of a few things over the last few days that have made this girl happy. I figure every time something makes me really laugh, smile, or just plain warm and fuzzy inside, I'll write it down, and the day it happened.

So meet the Smile Jar!


No comments:

Post a Comment